Skip to main content

Misplaced Love


2 Samuel 12:7-10 
7 Then Nathan said to David, “You are the man! Thus says the Lord God of Israel: ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. 8 I gave you your master’s house and your master’s wives into your keeping and gave you the house of Israel and Judah. And if that had been too little, I also would have given you much more! 9 Why have you despised the commandment of the Lord, to do evil in His sight? You have killed Uriah the Hittite with the sword; you have taken his wife to be your wife and have killed him with the sword of the people of Ammon. 10 Now therefore, the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised Me, and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife.’


Lust is a very powerful thing…this is beyond something sexual…I know that tends to be the preconceived idea whenever you hear that term, however, lust is much deeper than that; sexuality is only one of the ways lust can manifest itself.
Lust is a form of idolatry and misplaced love. How this can surface in the hearts of men and women can happen from several instances, I want to look at one of them in particular: REJECTION.

Yes, rejection can bring about a type of lust…the lust for things you cannot have. Our text speaks of a forbidden lust that David was guilty of…so we all are whenever our flesh is in control.
A Choice

James 4:1-3 (New King James)
4 Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members? 2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask. 3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.

James 4:1-3 (The Message)
1-2 Where do you think all these appalling wars and quarrels come from? Do you think they just happen? Think again. They come about because you want your own way, and fight for it deep inside yourselves. You lust for what you don’t have and are willing to kill to get it. You want what isn’t yours and will risk violence to get your hands on it.
2-3 You wouldn’t think of just asking God for it, would you? And why not? Because you know you’d be asking for what you have no right to. You’re spoiled children, each wanting your own way.

So as you can see, this is beyond something sexual in nature, this transcends all areas of life.

For example:

-        On a church relational level, you may have people in the church who are ‘popular’ or well – liked…however, because they do not befriend you – anyone else who extends friendship to you isn’t enough, because that friendship isn’t coming from a desired place…you become bitter, cynical, and over time, you’ll be avoided due to your attitude…this all started because there was something you wanted, but couldn’t have.

This is seen on a marital level, a sibling level, financial level, etc.…the bottom line is, there are things in this life that you cannot obtain and because you’ve been restricted, rather than move on, it embitters you and you allow it to destroy things in your life. This is what lust can do to you and me.

1 Corinthians 10:6-11 
6 Now these things became our examples, to the intent that we should not lust after evil things as they also lusted. 7 And do not become idolaters as were some of them. As it is written, “The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play.” 8 Nor let us commit sexual immorality, as some of them did, and in one day twenty-three thousand fell; 9 nor let us tempt Christ, as some of them also tempted, and were destroyed by serpents; 10 nor complain, as some of them also complained, and were destroyed by the destroyer. 11 Now all these things happened to them as examples, and they were written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages have come.

Having said all this, a choice must be made. You can either allow the things you cannot have control and eventually destroy your life, or you can choose to cling to the Lord and leave these things behind you.
Much More

In verse 8 of our text, God says something rather interesting…
And if that had been too little, I also would have given you much more! 

It really opens up the nature of God here – what I mean is, God is not afraid of giving us more than we ask Him!

The Lord is not stingy at all! He loves to bless His children and lavish upon us all, provided our hearts are in the right place…

2 Chronicles 1:7-12 
7 On that night God appeared to Solomon, and said to him, “Ask! What shall I give you?”
8 And Solomon said to God: “You have shown great mercy to David my father, and have made me king in his place. 9 Now, O Lord God, let Your promise to David my father be established, for You have made me king over a people like the dust of the earth in multitude. 10 Now give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may go out and come in before this people; for who can judge this great people of Yours?”
11 Then God said to Solomon: “Because this was in your heart, and you have not asked riches or wealth or honor or the life of your enemies, nor have you asked long life—but have asked wisdom and knowledge for yourself, that you may judge My people over whom I have made you king— 12 wisdom and knowledge are granted to you; and I will give you riches and wealth and honor, such as none of the kings have had who were before you, nor shall any after you have the like.”

Not only did God give King Solomon what he asked for, but also what he didn’t! God will do the same for you and for me…and yet, even though we understand how good God is, we still are dissatisfied, and covet!
So, the problem isn’t that we lack, the problem is that, we have enough! Adam and Eve didn’t lack, the problem was, they knew enough…but the lust of the flesh, of the eyes, and the pride of life, which are not of the Father, was found inside of them, and it released a curse to all humanity…a misplaced love.

-        Your marriage is enough, Your job is enough, Your ministry is enough, and
          Your calling is enough

However, our misery becomes a reality when we choose to believe that what we have isn’t good enough and we long for things that do not belong to us, or worse, we feel as if God owes us something…
A Changed Mind

This judgment was righteous against David for what he did…redemption was granted after punishment was levied.

How did David obtain mercy?

-        He owned up to the sin he committed
-        He understood WHO he sinned against
-        He accepted the consequences of his actions and didn’t run from them

Psalm 51:1-17 
51 Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness;
According to the multitude of Your tender mercies, blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin. 3 For I acknowledge my transgressions, and my sin is always before me. 4 Against You, You only, have I sinned, and done this evil in Your sight—
That You may be found just when You speak, and blameless when You judge. 5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin my mother conceived me. 6 Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts,
And in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.
7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. 8 Make me hear joy and gladness, that the bones You have broken may rejoice. 9 Hide Your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. 10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. 11 Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation and uphold me by Your generous Spirit. 13 Then I will teach transgressors Your ways,
And sinners shall be converted to You. 14 Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God, the God of my salvation, and my tongue shall sing aloud of Your righteousness. 15 O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall show forth Your praise. 16 For You do not desire sacrifice, or else I would give it;
You do not delight in burnt offering. 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and a contrite heart—these, O God, You will not despise.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Uncertainty

Romans 8:24-28 24 For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance. 26 Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God. 28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. The things we don’t know. You know you’re in the presence of a fool, when they pretend to know things and no nothing. It’s alright to admit that we don’t know. Humility can take you places your talent, gifts, and pride won’t be able. Being saved by hope doesn’t contradict the truth that w

Merry Christmas

Jeremiah 29: 11 - '...to give you a future and a hope...' Once upon a mountain top, 3 little trees stood and dreamed of what they would become. The first tree looked up to the stars saying, "I want to hold treasure; I want to be covered with gold and precious stones!" "I'll be the most beautiful treasure chest the world has ever seen!" The second tree said, "I want to be traveling mighty waters and powerful kings, I'll be the most powerful ship ever built!"  The third tree stood tall, gazing into heaven saying, "I do not wish to leave this mountain at all...instead I want to be so tall, that when people from below gaze upon me, they will look to God." Years had past and one day, 3 woodcutters climbed the mountain top...the first woodcutter saw the first tree and said, "This is perfect for me." With one swipe of the blade, the tree fell. "Now I shall become a great treasure chest," the first tree sa